Press Release: By DAZN – Engaging gamification to be integrated, with exclusive experiences and rewards unlocked based on the outcome of the championship fight
LONDON, April 30, 2021 ― DAZN, the leading global sports destination, will deliver the company’s first-ever non-fungible-tokens (NFTs), showcasing iconic moments from the world Super Middleweight unification blockbuster between Canelo Alvarez and Billy Joe Saunders on May 8, giving boxing fans a unique opportunity to be part of the action throughout fight week and beyond.
The drop includes four collections of NFTs which are accompanied by real-life rewards, including never-before-sold memorabilia and exclusive boxing experiences. Most collections will offer both an Alvarez and Saunders edition, so fans can champion their winner before the opening bell, stake their claim of a potential upset and get behind the outcome of the fight.
All auctions and sales will take place on OpenSea.io, the largest NFT marketplace. The first three collections will open on Saturday, May 8 at 7am EDT/12:00 BST until approximately 11pm EDT/04:00 BST before the ring walk. The remaining collection will be sold post-fight on Monday, May 10th.
The four collections include:
Knockout: Legendary Edition (1 per fighter)
These exclusive, one-of-a-kind NFTs offer bidders a chance to own a permanent piece of Alvarez or Saunders’ career. The top bidder will receive:
● A one-of-a-kind NFT featuring a digital rendering of each fighter’s gloves
● A once-in-a-lifetime experience for two at the fighter’s next bout
● A pair of signed fight gloves from Canelo or Eddie Hearn
● A personalized video from Canelo or Eddie Hearn
Tale of the Tape
On May 8, the Mexican king will clash with the WBO champ for Cinco de Mayo. The ‘Tale of the Tape’ assets will show the world how Alvarez and Saunders measure up on paper before the gloves go on. These NFTs are available in the following editions:
● Gold Edition: 1 per fighter which will be accompanied by a pair of signed gloves from Canelo or Eddie Hearn and annual DAZN subscription (Auction)
● Silver Edition: 50 per fighter which will be accompanied by a chance to unlock an annual DAZN subscription for all holders of the winning fighter’s NFTs, with one of those winning NFTs additionally unlocking a personalized video from Canelo or Eddie Hearn (Fixed price)
Every round will count as the pound-for-pound king, Alvarez, takes a giant step in his quest to become undisputed. These assets are digital representations of each way the fight could end – KO or decision. Get the NFT for when you think the fight will end to unlock exclusive rewards. Buyers can go home with the following editions:
● Gold Edition: 1 per round (Auction) which will be accompanied by a once-in-a-lifetime experience for two at the next Canelo fight for the holder of the NFT representing the round in which the fight ends
● Bronze Edition: 100 per round (Fixed price) which will be accompanied by an annual DAZN subscription for the holders of the NFTs representing the round in which the fight ends
At the end of the night, only one fighter will be crowned the unified world Super Middleweight champion. These NFTs will commemorate that victory as collectible representations of the fight’s best moments including a 1 of 1 Legendary NFT of the winning moment and Gold and Silver Editions memorializing each fighter’s ring walk.
These editions will drop shortly after the fight on Monday, May 10 at a time to be announced shortly after the fight.
DAZN NFTs are presented in conjunction with Matchroom and will be available for purchase at DAZNBoxing.io beginning Saturday, May 8 at 7am EDT.
“We’re excited to bring NFTs to boxing, creating new touchpoints with consumers to amplify audience engagement around our events,” said Joseph Markowski, DAZN, EVP Global Platform & Revenue Innovation. “This initiative will help DAZN deliver value to our trusted partners and subscribers whilst also allowing the company to explore the new frontier of blockchain technology.”
“This NFT drop is next level for boxing,” said Eddie Hearn, Matchroom Sport Chairman. “One of the reasons we love working with DAZN is because they’re always looking to create new standards for not only boxing, but all sports. No other broadcaster is in the same position to create these unique assets around individual events.”
Canelo Alvarez will clash with Billy Joe Saunders in a WBC, WBA, WBO and world Super Middleweight unification blockbuster on May 8 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, live worldwide on DAZN (except Mexico).
Material and Photo Courtesy of DAZN Used with permission.
For more information about DAZN including schedules, list of compatible streaming devices/platforms/Smart TVs, availability around the world, and to subscribe please visit: www.DAZN.com.
The Boxing Truth®️ is a registered trademark of Beau Denison All Rights Reserved.